Thursday, May 24, 2012

Learning to Listen

Our son George in "time-out". Not to happy either!


"Are you going to listen to Daddy?" I ask my son. His reply? A rather distinguished "NOPE". Two years old and already trying to be boss. It is hard to get across to a two year old that you want them to listen because you love them and want what is best for them. You want them to listen to keep them safe and out of harms way.

Learning to listen for a two year old is a daunting task I am finding out. Not being sure if he understands when I tell him to listen to me can be difficult. Yet, with answers like "Nope!" sure makes me think he knows fine and well what daddy is saying!



Today I told George I wanted him to listen because daddy knows what is best for him. It was almost in that very instant that God spoke directly to my heart "And what about you son?". Ouch! Do I really treat God like I am a stubborn two year old that wants his own way? I suppose at times I do. Don't you? There are times that come up where I know God wants me to do or say something, something that is likely best for me or will keep me safe, and I tell him NOPE! Seems bad doesn't it? Yet we all do it in some way, shape, or form. 

Learning to listen to The Father hasn't been the easiest for me. Oh, I hear Him constantly, follow Him regularly, and "NOPE" Him more than I care to admit. Hindsight being 20/20 I see that He was leading me as Fathers do their child and wish I would have listened more and done less. My pastor shared a story with me tonight about a student that was in his youth group 16 years ago. He caught up with this once young man, now adult, and asked him "what would you have changed?" The man's reply, "I would have listened more and done less". This conversation took place behind bars at the local county jail. The man is facing the rest of his life in prison. 

The picture of my son in time out is classic because God has place me in "time-out" a time or two! And why does he do that? Well, why do we with our children? I want my son to learn to listen so he may soon listen to learn. I want him to know that my chastisement is for his protection. Chastisement is because I love him and want him to understand that when daddy speaks, he should listen. 

"And what about you son?" 

"MY SON, DO NOT REGARD LIGHTLY THE DISCIPLINE OF THE LORD,
NOR FAINT WHEN YOU ARE REPROVED BY HIM;
 FOR THOSE WHOM THE LORD LOVES HE DISCIPLINES,
AND HE SCOURGES EVERY SON WHOM HE RECEIVES."
IT IS FOR DISCIPLINE THAT YOU ENDURE; GOD DEALS WITH YOU AS WITH SONS; FOR WHAT SON IS THERE WHOM HIS FATHER DOES NOT DISCIPLINE?"
~ Hebrews 12:5-7

No comments: