Friday, October 30, 2009

So Much, Yet Not Enough


As I hold my son I think to myself; "I could stay here forever". To freeze time and be able to stare into my sons eyes forever would be like heaven to me. I always knew this day would come, but now it's here and it is more beautiful than I could have ever hoped, dreamed, or expected. Snuggled in his fathers arms is my child; safe, secure and at rest.
I guess the hardest part, as I look down at him, is knowing that one day he'll scrape his knees, fall off of his bike, be called names by mean kids, fail at things he tries so hard at, suffer heart ache, and go through all that life has to throw at him only to finally meet with physical death. It's almost like I can see his days ahead. I long to see days of joy and dread to see days of sorrow. Yet, it all must come to pass, my son will make choices.
You know we have such a loving Father that He walks with us "through the valley of the shadow of death"? He doesn't wait on the other side, He doesn't get us around it, under it, or over it. He walks with us through it! Days of joy and Days of pain... He is there.
Listen to 2Peter chapter 3 verse 8:
8 But, my loved ones, keep in mind this one thing, that with the Lord one day is the same as a thousand years, and a thousand years are no more than one day.
That speaks so loud to me as a father. Every minute I spend with my son feels like and eternity and yet at the same time it is not long enough. That is the Fathers heart! God longs to have constant fellowship with us and yet constant fellowship isn't long enough for Him! Moments with Father God are so precious. God, not being encompassed in time, must have the freedom to dwell in those moments of fellowship and soak up on the love.
As I am told, time flies for parents; one day you changing diapers the next day your going to graduations. Do you value your time with your child as God values His moments with you? Be encouraged to cherish the days that feel like a thousand years and keep close to your heart the thousand years that feel like a day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

George,
We are so proud of you! we know that yor child is truly blessed with such a Godly father. Everyday I pray for my children, know that I will be praying for yours!
Manny

doxie mama said...

George, with you as GV's earthly father and GOD as his heavenly father, he is in very good hands.