Tuesday, November 3, 2009

S.I.C.U.


Walking into the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (or N.I.C.U.) for the first time was an overwhelming experience. My son was not yet born and we were on a "Walk through" tour. Babies crying, alarms going off, and nurses all around. It was enough for an anxiety attack! Our son was coming to this unit and it didn't sit very well with me or my wife. Intensive care for adults is one thing, but for babies?
When our son was born and came to the N.I.C.U. our perspective began to change. We quickly saw that this was the very best place for him. The nurses are one to every two to three babies and are very attentive. They keep us informed and at ease. We truly felt that the Lord has placed our son there for the specific care that he needs.
One day I look up and see this odd machine. Come to find out, it is the machine that is feeding my son. He can't eat milk yet so he gets feed intravenously. The Lord spoke quickly to my heart. "I am like this feeding machine". What? As I listened He showed me that this machine gives my son just the right amount of nourishment to keep him healthy and stable.There are a lot of things God could do to show me about His love for us, yet He chose this machine.
Many times in our lives when we feel like we have just under went some kind of "surgery" God is there to nourish us back to health with just the right amount of Him that makes us whole. There still might be issues, circumstances and we can even feel as if we are in some sort of "Spiritual Intensive Care Unit" (or S.I.C.U.), but to know that God is our nourishment makes all the issues... well... moot I suppose.
Paul had an issue. He called it a "thorn in his flesh". Many debate over what this could have been, but it really doesn't matter. What matters is what God told Paul the solution was.
2Cor. 12:9
9And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
In context, Paul is dealing with something that kept his boast on Christ. God's grace is sufficient for us every time we need it. (which is always:) God knew we would end up in "S.I.C.U." 's of life so He provide His Son as life. Christ is the very life that is poured into us as God knows best. Not that we need more of Christ (because we don't), but in those times we "feel" we do... it is then that we need to hear God say; "My Grace is Sufficient for you". He is the Provider of our nourishment and is always on time with what we need to recover from death to life.

No comments: