Saturday, October 17, 2009

Performance From the Earliest Age



Each time I watch this video I ask myself, why? I want my child to develop a real and tangible relationship with the Lord. I want to see my son make the decision for Christ because of a pull at his heart. Training a child in the way he/she should go does not mean getting them to perform religiously. Training a child to say all the right words, dress the right way, and even dance a little jig is setting them up for failure when it comes to genuine faith. It's easy for parents to lay down the law and get our children to perform. Training our child isn't getting them to act in the right ways but training them to listen to the right voice.
I have caught flack for being so harsh when it comes to this video, but I ask you are the "cute" things in life worth risking damage to a child's heart? This child is being praised for imitating what should be genuine faith, so he learns... this is ok.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is amazing how our children absorb everything we as parents say and do. We are their role models.(Lord give us grace!) The best gift we can give our children is showing them a living God in our lives. WE need Jesus so much as parents! kc