Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Always Getting Into Something


This past Sunday I was talking with my friend Josh. He was holding his son who was tying his best to reach a pencil on the desk. Josh would tell him no and continue talking. His son, after heeding dad's warning, would once again reach for the pencil. I believe his son is two. This happened a couple of times as Josh looked at me with a smile on his face and told me "They want to get there hands on everything". As Josh's words rolled off his lips, God quickened my heart with a "knowing" that we are similar!

I can only imagine how many times I am going to have to tell my son that he can or cannot touch something. The watchful eye is going to be on him as soon as he is born, but more so when he starts scooting around and picking things up. Why do babies do that? Curiosity! My son, Curious George! We try our best to keep our eye on them, but lets face it.... Kids get into things they shouldn't. Sound familiar?

We get curious about things God wants us to have nothing to do with. Unlike the monkey... curiosity killed the cat. How many times have we heard the leading of God saying this way or that, yet out of curiosity we "Did our own thing". We need to realize that God has our best interest at heart. He is that Protecting Father that is able to say "no son, don't get mixed up with that. It's no good for you". We find ourselves persistently reaching for that "pencil" all the while "Daddy's" voice is right there calling out to us knowing what is best. See God shaking His head saying "There goes my son/daughter again... Always getting into something."

Thanks to Josh S. He's a great dad!

No comments: