Wednesday, November 25, 2009

A Father Gives All



Daddy  by {Emily}.
My wife and I have come to realize that we are on our son's schedule. We both valued sleep, but have put our value aside because our son values eating! Now any father already knows what I am learning now, and that's getting up in the wee hours of the morning isn't fun. Being the grouch that I am in those early hours, I find myself huffing and puffing at the simple task of heating up a bottle or changing a diaper. Well, last night The Father got to me. As quick as a blink of an eye He showed me that a father gives all of himself. I whispered in my sons ear that I was sorry for being frustrated while tired and that I will give all of myself to him because of my love for him. The comforts I once valued take second when it comes to the son I love.

Our Heavenly Father gave and continues to give to us all that He is. While resting in His arms He is giving His complete self to us. He gives His time (not that He's bound by it), His energy, His love and all that He is simply because He loves us. Is there any doubt as to why He tells us to come to Him as little children? Before we could ever truly know what love is, He displayed it for us...


1Jn 4:10 Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

A child born into this world doesn't know how to love. Eat, sleep, poop, and cry a child comes prepared to do. A child learns love by the display of love that is around him/her. As I held my son at 3am early this morning, I couldn't help but to feel convicted for loving myself to the point of frustration. A father gives his all... everything he is and has. Looking down at my son and seeing the contentment on his face for being in my arms at 3am was a lesson well learned.

Let's face it... We don't know how to properly love God, yet when we see His love for us it pulls us into a love we have never known. We love because He first loved us. (1Jn 4:19). Now as our children grow up we must remember that we are the first display of love that they see in the morning and the last before they go to bed at night. As the Father continues to reveal His awesome love for us as His sons, so we can let that love flow out of us and into our children.



2 comments:

Ralph said...

Well done!
After the birth of my first daughter, I realized how self-centered I had been. I no longer had time to think as much about me because I was thinking so much about my wife and daughter. And that was a good thing. Not always a smooth transition, but good nevertheless.
I enjoyed this, George.

A Child of God said...

Ralph,
Thanks. It has been a while since I have checked this blog site. I guess my time as daddy has really consumed some of my favorite activities ;) Well, that and a slow computer! God has grown me since this post, but as I read over it I see (with the addition of our new daughter) that these fustrations have crept back up. Reading this again was a refresher! By the way, Love your posts to facebook! You are an encouragement!!!