Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Sometimes We Just Need To Be Held

Have you ever had one of "those days"? No matter how hard you try, what tricks you do, or what tantrums are thrown there seems to be no comfort. Those days full of whining, pity and foot stomping. Deep inside there is a yearning for something, we just can't put our finger on it.

I came home last night to find my little guy at his door (gated) crying. I asked my wife what was wrong. It was just one of those days. George isn't always the best at telling us what is wrong with him. If he can't explain it he gets even more frustrated and cranky. As I walked in, came the cries from his doorway...

Daddy, Daddy, Up, UUUUUP 

Little did he know that Daddy needed to be held....




When I got home last night my heart was in bad shape. As if the world was caving in on me, my hope of comfort was ebbing away. I was dealing with feelings of failure and insecurity from my day's work. By the time I arrived home I had convinced myself that all was for not in the day. With a migraine and a hurting soul,  I longed for something I couldn't put my finger on.

Thirty minutes before I walked in the door, Lisa had begun story time with George. Not having a nap, George is normally easy to put in bed. Tonight, after each story George would insist on another. Eventually, Mom had to trade story time for bed time. George was not a happy camper! He began to "crank" it up in both senses of the term. Something was missing and he couldn't put his finger on it.

As I held him in my arms, I knew what I needed and so did he. He just wanted to be held and so did I. Father and son sharing the same space, the same presence. In that moment my failures where non existent. Just George IV and George V receiving what they both longed for.... to be held.

Psalm 61:4
"I long to dwell in your tent forever and take refuge in the shelter of your wings."

That sense of longing to be held is unique to its own. Nothing fills the void for the presence of The Father. I have dwelt in many places far and dark, I have sought refuge in pleasure and substance and I have been under the wing of many. Non suffice that precious moment of embrace during the deepest shadows and darkest valleys. Oh' the sweet comfort found in the shelter of His wings!

Matthew 11:28
"Come unto me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."

Last night God showed me just how much I need His embrace. Coming through the door I thought my son needed to be held. I was wrong! Daddy needed to be held, to be embraced, to be comforted. The Father met my need for rest in my soul with an opportunity to be held by a two year old boy I cherish.

I wonder if George experienced what I did? I know he didn't want to let me go. He fell asleep in my arms as I held him tightly. Normally you can feel the limbs go limp when a child falls asleep in your arms. Not tonight. A tight grip around my neck and legs locked around my waist... I was held tonight and it felt good! Thank you Father!

Like what you've read? Leave a comment & join our site.
Here are some other ways you can connect
with the Lynch Family... 


No comments: