Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Adam, Where Are You???

Disobedience can be such a tricky character! It's funny how we will go to great lengths to hide and cover up the things we do wrong. Life would be a lot less stressful if we applied the same amount of tenacity to transparency. I guess the old saying holds it's weight...

"You Are Only As Sick As Your Secrets"

So, I guess we have to ask ourselves  how sick are we?


Our son has made it a habit late at night to leave his bed and sleep on the couch. Not really sure why he is going through this, but seems harmless nonetheless. The other night around 10pm as Lisa and I were watching t.v. in our bedroom, our son peaks his head through the door to let us know he will be going to sleep on the couch. Our show finishes up about 11pm. We hadn't heard a peep from our son on the couch so we figure we fell fast asleep on the couch. I come out of our room to check on everything before bed as one of us normally do. Out of the corner of my eye I see this shadow hide behind the wall by the bathroom. "Son, what are you still doing awake? He sheepishly comes out from behind the wall with toothbrush in hand. "Me have to brush my teeth" he says. Not sure if he is awake or sleepwalking, I ask him "Why are you brushing your teeth at 11 o'clock at night?" Like a deer caught in headlights he replies "cause me had chocolate". As I notice the half eaten Snickers bar on the table, I couldn't help but laugh!

Our son went to great lengths to cover up his sneakiness! Yet, we aren't so different. From the very beginning of time man has been trying to cover-up or hide their sin. We take a look at the account in the Garden of Eden where man first encountered the insecure need to become sneaky.

Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together and made themselves loin coverings. They heard the sound of the Lord God walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and the man and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the Lord God among the trees of the garden. Then the Lord God called to the man, and said to him, "Where are you?" He said, "I heard the sound of You in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid myself." 

Adam and Eve were created "naked and unashamed" (created for transparency), but when sin entered they immediately tried to cover it up and hide themselves. When God asked "Where are you" I don't believe that was because he didn't know where Adam and Eve were physically, but I believe it was more of a question geared toward the heart of man. This would be like, that night if I asked my son, "Why didn't you just tell me you were hungry, why did you feel the need not to include me in your decision. What were you thinking?" (or something like that)

Today, Christ has paid the price for our sin. As a matter of fact, He became sin that we might become the righteousness of God in Him! (2nd Cor. 5:21) There should be no reason for us to feel the need to "brush our teeth before daddy comes out". He might not want us to have a Snickers bar late at night, but He won't let us go hungry. Since the price has been paid, come out from the bushes, stand before God naked and unashamed (transparently) and be loved by the Father!

Like what you've read? Leave a comment & join our site.
Here are some other ways you can connect
with the Lynch Family... 


No comments: