Friday, July 13, 2012

Why?...Why?...Why?

It has started! The inevitable and unending question "Why" of a two year old. "Why Daddy?... Why?....Why?....Why?" Every answer is met with the same question, and the band marches on.

Why the question why? What makes us so inquisitive? Even at the early age of two, we want the scientific answer for everything. Where does that leave us in the faith world? What happens when God doesn't answer our "Why"?




So I was laying in my bed, waking from a nap, when I heard it. "Why Mommy?" After a few "whys" I heard, "Go ask your father". In comes the little cutie pie with the question "Why Daddy?" I had no earthly idea what he wanted. "Why?" as I got out of bed. "Why?" as I got out of the shower. "Why?" as I came into the living room. Finally, after trying to give answers to the question "why" I finally turned and said "Why not son?". To my surprise,  that was sufficient!

Job 38
 Have You Gotten to the Bottom of Things? And now, finally, God answered Job from the eye of a violent storm. He said:2-11  "Why do you confuse the issue? Why do you talk without knowing what you're talking about? Pull yourself together, Job! Up on your feet! Stand tall! I have some questions for you, and I want some straight answers. Where were you when I created the earth? Tell me, since you know so much! Who decided on its size? Certainly you'll know that! Who came up with the blueprints and measurements? How was its foundation poured, and who set the cornerstone, While the morning stars sang in chorus and all the angels shouted praise? And who took charge of the ocean when it gushed forth like a baby from the womb? That was me! I wrapped it in soft clouds, and tucked it in safely at night. Then I made a playpen for it, a strong playpen so it couldn't run loose, And said, 'Stay here, this is your place. Your wild tantrums are confined to this place.' 12-15 "And have you ever ordered Morning, 'Get up!' told Dawn, 'Get to work!' So you could seize Earth like a blanket and shake out the wicked like cockroaches? As the sun brings everything to light, brings out all the colors and shapes, The cover of darkness is snatched from the wicked— they're caught in the very act! 16-18 "Have you ever gotten to the true bottom of things, explored the labyrinthine caves of deep ocean? Do you know the first thing about death? Do you have one clue regarding death's dark mysteries? And do you have any idea how large this earth is? Speak up if you have even the beginning of an answer." (To continue reading God's rant on Job click here)


After another chapter of God questioning Job's whereabouts (chp. 39), Job concludes with:


"I'm Ready to Shut Up and Listen, Job answered:
"I'm speechless, in awe—words fail me. I should never have opened my mouth! I've talked too much, way too much. I'm ready to shut up and listen." 40:3-5


Dealing with life issues, we can feel the need to demand answers. Yet, God doesn't always give them, does He? The grand thing is... He doesn't have to, He's God! Faith is having the ability to trust that God is God no matter what happens to us. If we begin to experience the "Jobs" of life, we tend to begin the "whys" on God. Even if God reveals an answer to us, our tendency is to "why?" the answer He gave. 

Hear God's questions to Job, "Where were you when I created the world?" Faith is coming to grips with the fact that "Dad is Dad" and He knows best. Will that stop us from asking "why?" Not likely, but it can bring us the comfort of knowing Who is in control if the Father says "Well, why not?"

Gosh, I love my little boy! He is growing so fast in stature and understanding. Soon he will be a teenager and I'll be the one asking "why?" After all, teenagers know everything!

God look upon our "whys?" as lovingly as I looked upon my son this morning. I know we always want an answer to all of life's questions. May Your mercy and grace be sufficient for us in the moments when the answer is beyond our ability to understand. 

   
Like what you've read? Leave a comment & join our site.
Here are some other ways you can connect
with the Lynch Family... 

No comments: