Sunday, October 5, 2014

Big Bugs!

One of my ultimate favorite movies growing up was "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids". What a great idea! Dad builds machine, machine shrinks kids, world gets a bit bigger real quick.

We live out our faith as if Rick Moranis has shrunk us to the size of ghost ants and our big problems, pre-shrink, just got 1000x bigger! 

Are you tired of feeling shrunk in the face of growing problems? Well, my daughter was used today to teach me a little lesson on how big our problems really are. Want some perspective? ...

I heard this screech come from the living room... "DADDY! BUG DADDY, REALLY BIG BUGS! DAAAAAADAAAAAY HELP! My three year old cries in horror as these huge villainous perpetrators closed in on her chair. She was screaming hysterically... "Bugs, Big Bugs". Like any father would, I dropped what I was doing and ran to her. I was expecting to see a huge spider, maybe even a palmetto bug, but what did I see??? Two ghost ants just bigger then a pen tip.With a quick smash of my finger the bugs were sent back to our maker and my daughter lived to fight another day.

Our perception of our problems aren't so far off. To my daughter these bugs were huge and scary. To me, her father, they were tiny tiny pests at best. Her fear of them moved me to concern, but at the actually sight of them I though how silly it was to be scared. Oh, how we scream to The Father in such fear of how we perceive our problems in the light of how "Daddy" sees them.

2nd Kings 6 we find the king of Syria at war with Jerusalem and specifically after Elisha the prophet. When the king caught wind that Elisha was in Dothan, sent a large army there to destroy him. Surrounding Elisha and his servant while they slept the army prepared to conquer and capture. Elisha's servant awoke and with great fright awoke Elisha. The prophet has a classic response... "Don't be afraid". DON'T BE AFRAID??? They were surrounded with no way out! Elisha prayed for the servants eyes to be opened and the servant saw no end to the angel armies ready to do battle on their behalf. ~2nd Kings 6   

Too many times do we cry out over what seems to be such huge problems, yet in God's perspective they are just pests. He can walk over and crush them like bugs under his finger, yet some times he doesn't do just that. If you read the rest of chapter 6 you will find out why God's plans and ways are BIGGER then ours.

Ultimately, Daddy walked over and crushed the bugs for his little sweety, and she knew she was safe under daddy's roof, under his care, in his presence, in his arms. When was the last time you looked at your "Big Problems" And ask God to open your eyes to just where He is at work?


No comments: